Sunday, April 11, 2010

First IST

Saturday was my first IST in the DEP.
I was considerably nervous and not looking forward to it. My nervousness was coming from me being a shy person and cringing at the idea of being around 30 or so strangers.
But after driving myself crazy the night before with debating on whether or not to go, I finally resolved to just go through with it. Better to get it over with instead of letting it torture me until the next IST.

We met at the recruiting office at 8am. Most of the Poolees wore the dark blue shirt with the red Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on the front and 'Marines' on the back.
 First everyone had their height and weight done.
Then we all lined up and everyone did the pull-ups. Myself and another female did the flex arm hang. Minimum is 12 secs for females. I did 15secs. Not great but at least I have time for improvement.

This bar is like the one in the recruiter's office. 
Females are assisted up to the bar.


Next we got in two lines, facing eachother, so that we were paired off. The other female and myself were partners. You're given 2 minutes to knock out as many crunches as possible. I just barely got 43, and minimum is 44. 
This was how we did the partnered crunches.

We then carpooled to a paved trail for the 1.5 mile run. We all gathered around the start line and waited for them to start the time. We had to run half the distance out, till we made contact with the recruiter that was waiting for us, and then turned and ran back to the starting line where the GySgt waited and gave our times as we passed. I was the last one over the line at 15min 15secs. Minimum is 15mins.
My recruiter said I'd had a decent pace but now I just need to work on endurance. For the second half of the run I was having a hard time and slowed to a walking pace a few times.
We got done with everything about 9:30am.


So overall it wasn't a bad day.
I'm glad I went out. Feels alot better to have conquered that 'fear' instead of letting it remain to bother me.

No comments: