Sunday, April 4, 2010

MEPS- DEP contract with Marine Corps (female)

Well I finally signed my DEP contract this month.
 So heres a run down of how it went for me.

Wake-Up
I didn't spend the night at the hotel. Instead I woke up at 4am and drove out to the recruiter's office and met him there at 5:15am. (Its always a good idea to get plenty of sleep the night before. You can't fall asleep at MEPS and prepare to learn the concept of 'hurry up and wait'.)
I and 3 others (all guys) were then driven by the recruiter to the MEPS station. I think we got there about 6:00am or so. At some point the MEPS people started lining everyone up. First line was for shippers, then those for physical, inspects, Dep, etc.

MEPS
 You go through a metal detector and note its a Federal Building, so don't be stupid. Don't wear a hat, no gum chewing, no pocket knifes, no smoking, etc.
Also remember to be respectful and drop the 'yeah' and say 'yes sir/ yes mam' (and no sir/ no mam).

First thing was reporting to our Liaison, for me that was the Marines. They give you a sticker to wear on the right side of your chest. It has your name on it, military branch, and other info.
I was then directed to the Main Control Desk where I picked up my medical folder and waited for the rest of the people to do the same. There was at least 50 others that were also there to DEP in. The Marines have this thing where they like to DEP everyone in on the first days of the month, so I think of majority of the peeps were soon to be Marine Poolees.

Medical
 So after waiting for awhile, we were then directed to form a line to go to the Medical side.
You check in with the Medical control desk, they look over your folder then you're directed to do whatever.
 Females had to go to the female examination area. We first had to do a urine test (unobserved) so they could do a pregnancy test. Then down to you underwear for another height/weight, and a quick lookover by the doc.

Hurry Up and Wait
Once done with that you go back to the Medical control desk to check out of Medical. Then its off to your Liaison to report back with your folder. Turned mine in and was told to take a seat (luckily there was an empty one in the crowded waiting room). While waiting and waiting and waiting I sat among a bunch of other people waiting like I was. We were stuck watching the Espn channel all day. Sometimes you'd notice somebody start nodding off so it was courtesy to nudge them so they wouldn't get in trouble. As the day wears on it gets harder to stay awake when you've got nothing to do but sit in the same chair for an hour. It helps to chat with your neighbor, at least then you're less likely to fall asleep.

Finally at some point, probably around 10am, my name was called and I went into the Marine liaison office. There was about 4 Marines cramped in there all working on getting the many future poolees processed.
A GySgt sat down with me and started going over all of my paperwork with me. Half the time he was asking me the same question but in 10 different ways, to make sure I wasn't lying. They want to make sure you don't lie about drugs, traffic violations, etc. I've never had any problems with the law so I had no problems there. 'Have you ever used drugs?', "No sir". 'Are you sure?', "Yes sir."
 Easy stuff, just don't lie. It will probably come to haunt you later if you do.
On one of the papers it shows your prospective bootcamp date. Now this is an automatic bootcamp date, meant to fill in open spaces and just to get you a date. When you do your MOS selection that date will probably change.
 When the GySgt told me my date I was a little freaked. Here its April and the GySgt was telling me I'd go to bootcamp May 24th, eesh. Straight up I told him I had little confidence in my ability of being ready by then. But like any 'confident' Marine, he assured me they'd get me ready by then, no worries, lol.
Luckily for me, I already knew I had been slotted for a MOS with a bootcamp date in August, so once thats worked into my contract the date will change from May to August.

Well after going through that I was then sent to Main control desk, from there they sent me to Processing. After waiting for a little bit more, I then sat in a cubicle with a lady who went over the DEP contract and made sure I understood 'fraudulent enlistment', etc.
Once done there she gave me a paper which I took back to my Liaison.
I then sat in the waiting area for some more time before being called in. Signed another paper and then was sent back to the Main control desk to do the Swearing ceremony.
By then it was lunch time so the lady at the desk told me to grab lunch since I had some time before the next ceremony started. Lunch is served about 11am to 1pm.
They have sandwiches (cheap sub) that basically has meat and cheese. Theres also side snacks like cookies and chips. You can get a soda or water.
Course if that doesn't hold your appetitie over theres also snack machines and such.
Just remember that no food or drinks leave the Dining area, else you'll get yelled at.

Oath of Enlistment
Once done with 'lunch' I went back to the waiting area in front of the Main Control Desk and waited for the next Oath Ceremony. The tv here had USA on, didn't recognize the show though. After sitting and waiting some more they finally made an announcement for the next Oath of Enlistment ceremony.
Those of us that were ready went into the briefing room which is connect to the ceremony room.
The briefing room had several rows of school desks and we took a seat and waited. A guy came in and quickly briefed us on several articles from the Uniform Code of Military Justice. He then had the guys go into the ceremony room giving the females privacy. Males and Females had to remove their jackets, making sure their name tag stayed on their shirt, and tucked in their shirts.
Once ready everyone filed into the ceremony room and stood in rows before the podium. The guy then instructed us on parade rest and standing at attention. Once briefed on how the ceremony would be conducted he left us at parade rest while he went out to get the officer.
After a few minutes an Army Captain walked in, and when ordered at attention we had to say 'Freedom's front Door' (Meps thing, idk). The Cpt was very nice and cordial.
We were then instructed to raise our right hand and one at a time we each stated our full name. Once everyone had said their name we repeated the Oath as she stated it.
    I, Full Name, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend that Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
She then congratulated each of us and shook our hands before leading us back into the briefing room. Each of us then biometrically signed our contract and had our picture taken (photo appears on the contract). A copy was then printed for us to keep and we were sent back to our Liaisons.

The Marine Liaison congratulated us, got a t-shirt, and was instructed to contact my recruiter.
 My day was done.
Course I still had to wait on the others that I rode there with. So even though I was done at 1230pm I didn't actually leave MEPS until 5pm (And in some cases thats still considered 'early').

 Have Fun!

1 comment:

Bitten By A Black Widow said...

I like your blog. Please make sure your readers understand the ramifications of fraudulent enlistment! Anyway, check out my site www.fraudulentenlistment.blogspot.com for mor info on fraudulent enlistment and possible punishments.